Monday, June 27, 2016

Review: The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom

The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was fantastic. The conceit is a great twist on some very tired stories. I was reluctant at first because, really, who wants to read about a group of unnamed princes from other stories? There are so many of these kinds of things out lately that it seems everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to add their own version (think "Once Upon a Time," "Wicked," (or any other Gregory Maguire book). However, I had a nine-hour drive ahead of me and the audiobook to this title fit the time-slot perfectly.

When the story first began, Cinderellea's prince charming (Frederic) was a whiny little turd no one could like. Even worse, we liked (Cinder) Ella better. In fact, as the story progressed, and we met Gustav, Liam and Duncan, I was still afraid Ella was going to steal the show. She was far more proactive (and more of a protagonist) than any of the four princes. Here we were, following around the four guys who couldn't get their act together, while the woman was off outwitting witches and giants and saving captive prisoners.

Healy takes us on a long journey as these four princes learn to overcome their personal failures and work together as a team to actually save all of their kingdoms, and more. By the end of the book, I'm ready to read the second one. (In fact, while I have the audiobook of this first one, I will likely buy both the first and second book together so I can re-read the first in its intended format).

Regarding the audiobook version: Bronson Pinchot narrates the audiobook, and he is absolutely wonderful. If you can get your hands on the audiobook, I recommend it. He lends the perfect voice for each character, and his narration of the exposition is amazing. My only reference for Mr. Pinchot comes from his roles as the gay shopkeeper from Beverly Hills Cop and as Balki Bartokomous from the television show Perfect Strangers. I don't believe I have every once heard his natural voice (and perhaps I haven't yet).

I would highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone. It is such a fun and quick book. Amazing!

View all my reviews