Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Review: The Mote in God's Eye

The Mote in God's Eye The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was a very interesting book. I read it based on recommendations from the Writing Excuses podcast. What I like about it, as the podcasters have said, it is (currently) timeless. It may have been written during the 70s, but it could have been written yesterday. The book doesn't date itself. What I also found to be interesting about it was the commentary it makes on humanity as a whole. Spoilers: we've found an alien civilization which has the potential of ... essentially ... destroying us if it is allowed to grow the way we, ourselves, have allowed ourselves to grow. Therefore, we must subjugate them or destroy them. The only other comment I have is how many adverbs stuck out at me. It could be a fad right now that writing shouldn't have adverbs, but this book seemed to use one in every sentence ... every paragraph at least.

Anyway, descent book. It ended a bit anticlimactically for me, but I still enjoyed it. It was great to read about all the different sciencey bits (that's a technical term, by the way).

View all my reviews